Having installed ubuntu i would like to try out the media side of things so i thought i would just connect my freeview dvb stick, this did nothing, so after a while searching the net i think i have managed to put together the solution.
1) Run the terminal (Applications, Accessories, Terminal)
2) Type 'sudo apt-get install mercurial linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential' press enter
3) Type 'hg clone http://mcentral.de/hg/~mrec/v4l-dvb' press enter
4) Type 'cd v4l-dvb' press enter
5) Type 'make' press enter
6) Type 'sudo make install' press enter
7) Reset the machine
Now just the testing phase!